Hello my people, it has been a while o, how have you all been? Most of us Nigerians need a new car, but since most of us cant affor brand new cars, we usually go for the Tokunbo or Naija used versions, but do you know that some risks might be attached to buying those cars? so today we will be giving tips on what to look out for before dropping that hard earned money of yours.
Buying a used vehicle can seem intimidating because not everyone is a car expert! There are several things to look for and to be aware of when buying a used car. And we’ve put them together in an easy tutorial.
First of all, find a car which is interesting for you. To minimize scam risk we strongly advice to use only safe boards of classifieds ad marketplaces.
Once you already selected the car, you must take your time to carry out a visual check, a mechanical check, and to research the vehicle’s history and make sure that the proper documents are on hand. If you make this – the whole affair can be quite an enjoyable experience.
So let’s review every step more detailed.
The Visual Check
When performing a visual check on any used vehicle, you should always:
- Look out for rust or water damage. Be sure to check the underside of the car.
- Look for offset doors, fenders, or uneven lines that could mean damage to the frame.
- Look for cracks and differences in the paint color that could indicate that the vehicle was repainted after an accident.
The Mechanical Check
- Make sure the coolant is clear and that the transmission fluid isn’t black or oily.
- Check the oil to make sure it’s not milky or frothy, and that the brake fluid is no darker than the color of tea.
- Check underneath the engine to see that it is free from leaking fluids and check the belts for cracks.
Make a test drive and turn off any music, and confirm that there are no strange noises or rattles.
Research Vehicle History and Documents
When buying a used vehicle, it would be very wise to run a vehicle history report.
- Request to see the service book as well as any repair invoices and receipts.
- Check that the seller’s identity and the registration information match to confirm the vehicle is not stolen.
Always handle private transactions from a safe environment such as a bank. This way, no one has to carry large sums of money on their person, and all cash can be verified and deposited at the time of the transaction.
Be careful and trust your intuition. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t, so don’t be afraid to walk away
Purchasing a used car can be very positive experience. Armed with the right information, you can purchase your next dream car with confidence.
Buy and sell cars fast and safely on our Instagram page today!